Heart Surgery Recovery Information
When recovering after heart surgery, it is important to keep a few things in mind:
- Heart surgery recovery does not happen overnight! It might take a few days or weeks to get back to normal activities. It's okay to ease back into activities; mix short walks, periods of work or visits with friends with times to rest.
- Before your surgery, you will be given instructions on how to care for any surgical incisions. It is important to read and follow these to prevent infection.
- You will also be given instructions on how to look out for infection. While rare, post-surgical infections need to be treated promptly.
- Maintaining a healthy diet and a normal sleep schedule will help in your recovery.
- Follow your surgeon's instructions about medications and restricted activities. Failure to follow these instructions can prolong recovery time.
If you or any of your caregivers have questions about heart surgery recovery, please call our office at (704) 316-5100.